SPM guide


Study in Australia

A Step-by-Step Guide to Applying to Australian Universities

Published by Afterschool.my on May 04, 2018, 09:53 am

Are you thinking of applying to an Australian university for your undergraduate degree, but you don’t know where to begin? Don’t worry! Afterschool.my is here to guide you in your application process. There are a number of ways you can go about applying. 

Applying for the course

Method 1: Directly through the institution

Unlike universities in the UK, you can apply to study in an Australian university directly through the institution’s application page. You can download the application form from the website and fill it in. Once completed, you can submit it directly to the institution. If you are planning to apply to more than one institution, you must submit a separate application to each of the institutions.

Method 2: Through an Australian education agent

There are a number of education agents available in Malaysia that can assist you in your application. Some but not all Australian universities also partner directly with education agents. Further information about which institution works with which education agent can be found on their website or by contacting them directly.

General entry requirements

1. Academic requirements

The academic requirements you need in order to study in Australia varies depending on the level of education you want to study. For example, you would require a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in order to pursue a master’s degree. Different institutions can also have different entry requirements, so do read information on their website carefully and contact them to make sure you have the right info.

To gain entry into an Australian undergraduate course you will need to have an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12), or the overseas equivalent. Some undergraduate courses may also have specific pre-requisite subjects.

2. English language requirements

In most cases, you will need to provide results of an English language test. Be aware that the English language skill level required by an institution can be different from the level of skill required for your student visa application. You should carefully check student visa information on both the Department of Home Affairs website and the institution website for any English language requirements. The typical English language tests taken by students are the International English Language Test System (IELTS) provided by the British Council in Malaysia, and the TOEFL test.

3. Application documents

Most application forms in Australian universities require the following documents:

  • Your personal details i.e. your name, address and date of birth
  • The course that you would like to study
  • Certified proof of your English language proficiency e.g. results from an IELTS test
  • Details of your latest qualification
  • Personal statement detailing why you chose to apply for the course and institution
  • Information about your previous employment experience (if applicable)
  • Written references from professional or academic referees

If the documents that you are supplying are not in English, institutions will require that you supply certified translations. Likewise, if you provide electronic copies, you must ensure that the documents are in the file format and size specified by the institution.

Receiving your offer letter

If your application is accepted, you will receive an offer letter and acceptance form. Before accepting the offer, you should carefully read the offer letter and check for any conditions that may apply, for example when the application is missing a particular document or if you have not yet sat for an English language test. You will need to meet these conditions before the institution can take your application further.

Receiving your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

The CoE is an official document issued to international students by universities in Australia. It confirms that you have accepted a place in a course at an Australian institution, and you have paid your tuition fees and Overseas Student Health Cover premium (OSHC). Your CoE must be submitted as part of your student visa application.

Applying for your student visa

You can apply for your student visa using your offer letter or your CoE provided by the institution. More often than not, you will need to provide evidence of your CoE before your student visa is granted. Visa applications are usually lodged online. If you are unable to apply online, paper applications for certain visas and Australian citizenship by descent as well as applications from persons living in Malaysia and Brunei should be lodged at the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC). You must submit your application in person to the AVAC, as you will need to provide your biometrics (fingerprints and/or facial photograph) as part of the application.


Leave a Comment

Latest News